Jump to

Author Topic: LADY WOODWARD TO LIVE ON AT TIN CAN BAY  (Read 8057 times)

oceanav

LADY WOODWARD TO LIVE ON AT TIN CAN BAY
« on: July 13, 2010, 08:11:22 PM »
I have just joined this forum because I am the new owner of the Lady Woodward. Just ferried her from Strahan in Tas. to Tin Can Bay Queensland, 1211nm in 11days and nights with one fuel stop at Eden.
With my family we are restoring her to become our Home, will be a while, and we look foward to hearing from all interested Ferry watchers. We are available to show all, over the SHIP, here in Tin Can Bay. There is no cost what so ever. email: oceanav.comptec@optusnet.com.au

I have some interesting stories to tell and lots of photos. She is a magnificent Ship and loves the sea.

Oceanav
[/i][/i][/i]
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 06:39:35 AM by oceanav »

Offline fc_driver

• Passenger
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: LADY WOODWARD TO LIVE ON AT TIN CAN BAY
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 11:43:57 PM »
Hi
Good luck with your new home.
Some of us only dream of being so daring......
May you and the "Woody" have a long association.
Please add some pics of her journey North.....
Bruce

Offline Mark

• Ticket Seller
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 07:20:45 PM »
Good luck with your new home. I would love to see to photos of the bridge and engine room.
Regards
Mark

oceanav

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 05:23:57 PM »
There you are Lads, a few photos for you.

Oceanav
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 02:22:57 AM by oceanav »

Offline Magoo

• Deckhand
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 06:27:16 PM »
Thanks for the pics. She's looking good. Would you post some of her aft modifications??

M

Offline Mark

• Ticket Seller
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 06:59:54 PM »
Thanks so much for the pics, oceanav.

Steyne, S.

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 11:07:48 AM »
I've never read about this anywhere else, but in John Gunter's book Across The Harbour, he says Lady McKell was due to be launched before Lady Woodward but the invitations went out with the wrong name - Lady Woodward on them. So they cut the names from the boats and swapped them for the launch.

Offline Lance

• Administrator
  • Commodore
  • Activity:
    0.2%
    • View Profile
    • Ferries of Sydney
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 01:09:41 PM »
I've never read about this anywhere else, but in John Gunter's book Across The Harbour, he says Lady McKell was due to be launched before Lady Woodward but the invitations went out with the wrong name - Lady Woodward on them. So they cut the names from the boats and swapped them for the launch.

That's sorta correct - there's a reference elsewhere on this forum about that.

oceanav

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 05:01:40 AM »
Hi all, Just posted two new photos for your enjoyment, progress is slow but positive.
Just been going through all of the Woody's paperwork, about 50kg of it! I have noticed that it is all for the Lady McKell.
I wonder if the McKell has Woody's papers.

oceanav

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 02:26:03 AM »
Hi all, Just posted two new photos for your enjoyment. The profile is on anchors at Tin Can Bay

oceanav

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 02:27:27 AM »
Artistic Impression of how she may look when finished. Paint job will be navy and white.

oceanav

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 04:09:19 PM »
Seasons greetings to all Ferry Watchers, have a happy and safe festive season, The Lady is dressing nicely, if you are in Tin Can Bay please give me a call and come see for yourself.

oceanav

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 08:19:26 PM »
Compliments of the season to all.

Can anyone help me please. I am trying to locate a used anchor (300kg) plus 50 mtrs 25mm used chain.

Also the Woody is fitted with the original manual anchor winch, any clues as to where I might find parts for this winch greatly appreciated.

ALSO NEEDED any Hydraulic Anchor components to suit a large boat.

thanks
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 06:43:21 AM by oceanav »

Offline Lance

• Administrator
  • Commodore
  • Activity:
    0.2%
    • View Profile
    • Ferries of Sydney
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 04:04:47 PM »
http://www.tweednews.com.au/story/2010/12/24/introducing-the-bays-new-lady/

TIN Can Bay has a new maritime resident not usually found in these waters.

The Lady Woodward is a decommissioned Sydney ferry that is being lovingly transformed into a habitable houseboat by owner Skipper Dave and his family.

A ferry is not your everyday boat purchase and Dave admits he didn't set out to buy one.

A Google search for large boats led him to an online broker and after stop-and-start negotiations, he bought The Lady for a royal six-figure sum.

The ferry, which was built in 1970 to carry 605 passengers, did the daily run between Manly and Circular Quay, before she was retired in 1998.

For 10 years, she worked as a tender vessel for a salmon farm in Strachan, Tasmania, before Dave took possession in May 2010.

The voyage from Bass Strait to Tin Can Bay was 1250 nautical miles (2315 km) and the fuel bill alone was $20,000.

Coming out of Bass Strait, Dave and his son, Cameron, braved 15-metre seas and 50-knot winds.

Dave said there was no danger, although what he described could have been a scene from The Perfect Storm.

“The ferry was being lifted by the waves, surfing, then dropping 50-feet (15m) at the front, down the face of these waves,” he said.

“Then it would hit the troughs and the whole boat would slow down and as it slowed down, you could see 50-feet (15m) waves coming up behind you.

“That happened for 36 hours.”

They then anchored at Hummock Island, waited two days for favourable weather conditions and then it was smooth sailing up the east coast, with the prevailing wind behind them.

Dave said it was like being on a millpond when the ferry was anchored.

“I watch other boats bobbing up and down on the swell, but when a wave hits her side, the water shoots back again and nothing moves,” he said.

Her home for now is Tin Can Bay outer harbour and Dave and his wife treat her like a normal boat, going away for a couple of days at a time.

“This thing could sail around the world but it's a question of cost and having enough fuel on board to make it to the next destination,” Dave said.

Renovations started July 7, the day the Lady Woodward arrived at her new home, and Dave anticipates the family-of-three will be able to move on board by next July.

So far, they have ripped up the concrete floor, removed rust from the decks and replaced a few metal plates.

The 12-cabin bedrooms and communal bathrooms will be built by qualified boat builders.

Every material item, from a screwdriver to wooden floor planks, has to come by road and boat.

And there is no kerbside collection, so all rubbish has to be taken to the tip.

“We have to be considerate of the environment, we can't let anything go overboard,” Dave said.

“When we do the flooring, we'll put up hessian bags on the side walls so no wood shavings drop into the sea.”

He said he expected renovations would take two to three years to complete and cost $40,000 – $50,000.

The plan is to transform it into a 20-sleeper cruising home.

“You don't need a special licence to operate The Lady, you just need to know how to skipper her,” Dave said.

“All you need is a speed boat driver's licence because it goes faster than 10 knots and has a horsepower greater than six Hp.”

It's quite incredible when you consider the behemoth is 37.5m long, 9m wide and weighs 300 tonne fully laden.

The original Deutsch MWM motor is still in mint condition.

The main eight-cylinder engine has done 87,000 hours and was rebuilt when it hit 50,000 hours.

It idles at 170 revolutions per minute (rpm) and cruises at 250 rpm.

“The German engineering is just incredible, it's a low speed, low stress, turbo-charged engine,” Dave said.

When you buy a car, it's customary to get an RACQ motor check but there is no such pre-purchase service for discerning ferry buyers.

“You have to do it yourself,” Dave laughed.

“We did some sea trials.

“Took it for a few runs, listened to it, looked at it to see if anything was obviously wrong.

“We did that for two weeks and it's really sound.”

For Dave, there is no better place to live than on water.

“You don't have the next door neighbour's dog barking all night. You don't have Sunday morning lawnmowers and screaming kids,” he said.

“The worst we get is the occasional waft of an outboard motor going past and that's not such a bad thing.”

The ferry may be converted into a houseboat but will always remain a Lady to Dave.

“I will never change her name,” he said.

Offline Nicko

• Administrator
  • Captain
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 04:39:56 PM »
The ferry, which was built in 1970 to carry 605 passengers, did the daily run between Manly and Circular Quay, before she was retired in 1998.

Since when did the Lady Woodward do the run between Manly and Circular Quay
Can`t trust the papers that`s for sure   :O